Judge H.W. Hopkins House receives Excellence in Rehabilitation award

Posted on

The Judge H.W. Hopkins House was presented the Excellence in Rehabilitation award. Located at 229 Remington Avenue, today the house is home to Mosaic Psychological Services. Built by Tudor Rommerdall in 1885, this Queen Anne style house with Italianate features has an irregular plan with a cross-gabled main block and a rear gabled section. This house is an outstanding example of a Victorian House built during Thomasville’s progressive period of development during the Reconstruction Era. It is believed to be the first private residence to have running water. Judge H.W. Hopkins, born in 1850, served Thomas County in many capacities during his life: President of the Thomasville Gun Club, involved with the Iamonia Club, owner of Hopkins Real Estate, Mayor of Thomasville for nine terms, County Judge for Thomas County, and the first President of the Board of Trustees for Archbold Memorial Hospital. During his first tenure as Mayor, Hopkins advocated for a city water system and secured the drilling of the first well. Hopkins is credited with the first production of natural gas in Thomasville, creation of the city’s first sewer system and creation of what became Pine Tree Boulevard. Judge H.W. Hopkins passed away in 1945 and is buried at Laurel Hill Cemetery.